SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#494547 - 04/14/20 08:56 AM SX900 Instrumental - "Amazing Grace"
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Our man Tony did such a commendable job on playing & singing "Amazing Grace"! So I took a stab at an instrumental version for Mr T and others who enjoy this wonderful song. Hope you like my SX900 rendition of this timeless Gospel Classic - used the "SouthernGospel" style and a couple organ patches....

SX900 - Amazing Grace

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#494548 - 04/14/20 09:01 AM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Randy, very nice interpretation ... the song certainly allows for different interpretations ... thank you for posting, and thank you again for the kind words ...

#494549 - 04/14/20 09:02 AM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By saxxman
Our man Tony did such a commendable job on playing & singing "Amazing Grace"! So I took a stab at an instrumental version for Mr T and others who enjoy this wonderful song. Hope you like my SX900 rendition of this timeless Gospel Classic - used the "SouthernGospel" style and a couple organ patches....

SX900 - Amazing Grace

Randy nice playing Thanx...
is that the backing track style played for your vocal
I was waiting for it during the song
maybe on another track or is it supposed to be an instrumental?

Edited by Dnj (04/14/20 09:10 AM)

#494550 - 04/14/20 09:06 AM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
saxxman Offline

Thanks Guys! DNJ - if I took a stab at a vocal, I'd really generate some (audio) pain. Just sayin'. This was just an instrumental version of the song using the "SouthernGospel" style on the SX900 and some organ flutes patches. Thanks for the listens and the comments!

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#494551 - 04/14/20 09:11 AM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By saxxman
Thanks Guys! DNJ - if I took a stab at a vocal, I'd really generate some (audio) pain. Just sayin'. This was just an instrumental version of the song using the "SouthernGospel" style on the SX900 and some organ flutes patches. Thanks for the listens and the comments!

Ok understood as a singer/player you know I always like to hear
a good vocal too...
whatever the case thank you for sharing this wonderful song.
well done and stay safe ! clap

#494553 - 04/14/20 09:33 AM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Well done Randy. If I may be so bold ... I do have one small observation. As a backing to a vocal, or other lead instrument, I have no issues with organ being played at a constant volume, but in a case like this, where the organ is the lead, I'd suggest that you try a volume/expression pedal to give the voice more personality. As a wind player, you know how important the delicate dynamic changes are to a melody, and slight variations with a pedal can emulate the subtle changes in breath, and lip pressure on a sax. Your sax performances have shown that you are very skilled at this expression of dynamics, and I'm only suggesting that you experiment with it on the keyboard when the organ is the primary voice. As I said before, I never use a volume pedal in my regular shows because the organ is generally a supportive instrument, and except for a few scattered riffs ... it's a background voice.

Your performance was great. I hope this suggestion doesn't offend you , or diminish my appreciation. It's simply one observation from one set of ears. Carry on, my gifted musical friend! Remember ... "Music is what feelings SOUND like," Not sure who said that first, but I love it! clap from Philly, where it's ALWAYS sunny. cool

Attachments
Philly Wall.jpg

#494554 - 04/14/20 09:45 AM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
saxxman Offline

Thanks Dave! No offense taken! I don't have a volume pedal (yet). My current setup does have an 'on/off' pedal which usually works to turn the Leslie on and off. My music setup is shared w/my Ham Radio shack, so there are a lot of wires going to places that I am not often able to remember... ha ha.

I will investigate adding a volume pedal to the mix as I agree it would be great to be able to add some dynamics to the mix.

Thanks for the listen and the advice! Stay safe up there in PA!

#494555 - 04/14/20 10:07 AM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Brother Randy,

Nice work, it's a nice approach with that Southern Gospel style! Carry on!

W1DAM

#494557 - 04/14/20 10:09 AM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Morning, Randy:

Enjoyed your instrumental rendition. This is such an "amazing" song and it lends itself to a wealth of forms and variations whether instrumental or a full blown Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

I'm assuming most of the participants here know the full story of how this song came to be... so I won't be-labor the point. Hope you and yours are staying safe and making plans for this terrible pandemic to be over.

All the best, ----Dave (the lesser)

#494559 - 04/14/20 10:27 AM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Nice job Randy. Great song!

#494566 - 04/14/20 12:55 PM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
saxxman Offline

Thanks so much guys! It is indeed a great song and a source of inspiration for so many. Thanks for the listens and your kind words! Wishing all of us safe transitions through these troubled waters...

#494567 - 04/14/20 12:56 PM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Funny, after hearing Tony’s version a few other renditions on TV yesterday, I started working on a simple piano version. I was about to contact you to see if you had recorded a rendition as well, because I enjoy your playing so much. Thanks for the inspiration!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#494568 - 04/14/20 01:08 PM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
saxxman Offline

Thanks so much Paul! Tony inspired me to work on mine! Glad I was able to offer some inspiration for your instrumental version - it is indeed a great song to work with. Thanks for listening and the kind words! Will be looking for your version too! Have fun and stay safe!

#494620 - 04/15/20 04:49 PM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Randy, Nicely done...

#494635 - 04/15/20 07:18 PM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hey Randy nice rendition of Amazing Grace.

On a side note, It would be even better if there was a way of controlling the Leslie spin to a more natural, and gradual on/off.

Never the less, enjoyed your recording. Thanks for sharing

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#494655 - 04/16/20 05:54 AM Re: SX900 - "Amazing" Keyboard - "Amazing Grace" [Re: saxxman]
saxxman Offline

Thanks Lee and Larry for the listens and your comments. Still learning about the cool features and sounds on this great board. Stay safe out there and enjoy those keyboards!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online